Monday, December 10, 2007

True Life: I'm a Miami Journalism Student

First pulling up to my freshman dorm at Miami University over three years ago, I never would have thought I would end up pursuing a career in journalism. But after a year of calculus equations and physics labs, I decided that the hard sciences were not for me. I had always been a strong writer and a moderate news junkie, so I signed up for the journalism program.

A few years and God knows how many bylines later, here I am – a senior with a focus in journalism and anthropology and an addiction to the New York Times that could make even the most desperate heroine junkie pale in comparison.

Though my journalism classes at Miami have been valuable in exposing me to a variety of material and focusing my writing skills, nothing compares to the experience of writing at an actual paper. Since my induction into the world of headlines, bylines, budget lines and just about every other kind of line, I have interned for two local newspapers and have spent a considerable amount of time with Miami’s student publication, The Miami Student.

The combination of my time in the classroom and in the real world has been invaluable in my development as a writer and as a responsible adult. I’ve learned to work under deadline and manage my own time in a realistic way.

Even if I don’t ultimately find myself in the professional world of writing, I have no doubt that my experiences at Miami will be well worth every minute spent and every paragraph written.

No comments: